Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What is my American dream?

I was reading a headline on the news right before drifting off to bed, but it created a rise in me. The headline is:

Voter at rally: 'Barack Obama is the American Dream'

It made me think of what my American dream is. America is a land of immigrants, where almost all the people that are here today are the descendants of very brave men and women who left their home for the hope of a better future. I feel obligated in a very good way to show them that it was worth it, that I am achieving the American dream, that their struggles were worth the heartache and struggle, the coal mines, the hunger, the sadness.

We Americans need to consider...what is our American dream? People like Obama, and even Sarah Palin show us that no matter what others think, anything is possible.

It took Sarah Palin six years and many, many colleges to get her bachelor's degree. This woman then went on to become the Vice President candidate. Obama was addicted to cocaine, or at least used it, and is now going to be our President.

This goes to show that in reality, the only thing stopping us is ourselves. IF we don't care what others think, we can attain great things.

My past certainly isn't as...bad...as those two people. What will I become? Or, more accurately, what will I choose to become?

No comments: