Monday, November 3, 2008

Is being neat correlated with being rich?

When I watch old movies, I really like to look at the backgrounds -- the huge mansions the rich characters live in, the furniture, the decoration. It's so interesting to me. But one thing I've noticed is this -- in old movies, rich people always live in huge houses with rooms with only a few pieces of furniture, with lots of space, huge windows, and so on.

Photobucket

Poor people? Shots of the impoverished, which are few because in movies people want to escape reality, the apartments are tight, cramped, and oftentimes overcrowded with items. Stacks of newspapers is one thing that comes to mind.

What are they trying to tell us, these movie-makers from the '30s, 40's, and 50's? Rich people expect the best, and one of the best things to have is a clean environment.

Now I know some of you are thinking -- wait, so and so is so messy, bordering on being totally disgusting, and they're so rich, so creative, so ingenious.

That's an exception. But do you think Bill Gates would tolerate messiness? Do you envision him programming or sitting in his office in a messy, dirty room? Madonna is supposedly a complete neat freak, and she's one of the richest musicians in the world. Did you hear about how Lucille Ball used to scrub airplane bathrooms [I think Joan Crawford did too].

Is there a correlation between neatness and wealth?

Look at 30 rock. Liz Lemon, played by Tina Fey, is a talented albeit maladjusted writer. What is her office like? Small, cramped, no thought given to the layout, design. Jack Donaghy? His office is spacious, clean, with nothing out of place.

I don't know why I'm thinking about this...but remember this phrase? Cleanliness is next to Godliness. What does that mean? Clean in thought?

In Christian Science, it would be clean as in removing yourself from a dirty, flawed material reality and realizing that you are currently and always have been existing in a perfect spiritual reality. God rewards those...okay, I don't know where I'm going with this. I just wanted to express this thought and perhaps I'll talk about it later.

But I am going to clean and find out what happens! I will do a blog experiment called -- clean and get rich? I will copy Steve Pavlina, who I think I am secretely jealous of LOL

No comments: