Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Want to be amazed?




I read this piece of writing today. Here is the link:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/if-you-got-money-its-time-to-spend-some/

Basically, this Harvard professor is telling us that it's our turn, the people who have saved their money, to spend as much as possible to "save" the nation.

That makes me want to take my lunch to work everyday, walk or bicycle to work [had a horrible experience on the overcrowded yet inconvenient subway today], wear out all my ratty clothes, unplug every single electrical device I have from the wall when I'm not using it, etc. Basically, I want to save as much money as I possibly can.

What is this that enrages me so much? Read the comments -- the readers are enraged too -- and since they're New York Times readers, they're pretty intelligent and have insightful things to say.

But I think what bothers me is that I don't like some Harvard-tenured, pseudo-authority figure [He probably wished he could have gotten some appointment in the Obama admin.] telling me to spend as much money as possible just because I have some.

Please, I beg you, tell me what you think. I would love to read your responses to the NY times post.

No comments: